If windows are the eyes of the house, then shutters are the eyelids…some people go for the natural look and others like to show a little more personality.
Okay, that may not be the greatest analogy, but the point is, homeowners put a lot of emphasis on shutters. So much so, that some contractors decide it’s safer to let the homeowners order the shutters themselves. But that can cause some problems, too.
HOMEOWNER ORDERS THE SHUTTERS
When your homeowner decides to order new shutters on her own, it can cause a kink in your process because you cannot control the delivery date. Many contractors have run into this issue, where the shutters are not onsite during siding installation. This can slow down collection efforts, as the homeowner does not see the project as being “complete.”
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO AVOID THIS ISSUE
Communication is your main course of action here. When your homeowner mentions wanting to purchase shutters separately, explain the importance of the timeline and that you need the shutters onsite the day your crew is installing the siding. Remind your homeowner several times throughout the process to make sure the shutters are on hand the day of production. Afterall, you don’t want to hire a crew to come out twice.
WHAT ITEMS DO YOU NEED TO SUPPLEMENT FOR SHUTTERS?
- The most important thing for you to note on your inspection sheet is whether the shutters need to be detached and reset OR removed and replaced.
- Make sure to take good, clear photos of the shutters before removal, during removal and after reinstallation.
- Measure the shutters.
Xactimate has a range of pricing depending on the size and material of the shutters.
- Small shutters: 12×24 inches
- Average shutters: 15×43 inches
- Large shutters: 15×60 inches
- Polystyrene (aka plastic): small = $99.20, average = $126.56, large = $143.05
- Aluminum: small = $165.40, average = $236.52, large = $410.40
- Wood: small = $199.68, average = $258.35, large = $345.40
- Board and batten: small = $266.77, average = $350.67, large = $405.40
- Shutters – detach and reset $31.05 per set
1 thought on “Window Shutters on Insurance Claim”
You make a great point about how you can have onsite installation. I don’t have the tools to do the installation myself. I’ll have to consider ordering the shutters and installation packages online.